No matter where you are around the world, there will always be an Italian restaurant or fast food joint offering freshly-cooked, delicious pizzas. These versatile dishes can be made with just about any ingredient as their base/cheese/tomato combination goes with everything from meat and fish to vegetables and certain fruit. If you are a fan of this world-renowned dish, here are some of the ingredients people most commonly order with their eat-in or takeaway pizzas. This information was taken from a recent survey on popular pizza toppings run by the app Foodler. The next time you’re out ordering this amazing dish, take a moment to see if your choice is in the top ten. If it is, maybe you can try something different to spice your life up a little?
- Pepperoni. This American version of salami tops the list because of its mouth-watering combination of salty, sour and spicy tastes. It can be made with either pork or beef and leads our list of the most popular toppings.
- Mushrooms. The humble mushroom comes in second thanks to its unique flavour and the way its texture works well with the pizza base and cheese combination. This is also an incredibly versatile ingredient that fits with meat, vegetables and more.
- Onions. If you are looking for some zing on your pizza that doesn’t feature too much spice, the onion is the perfect choice. This might be the reason why it comes in third on our list of the top ten pizza toppings.
- Sausage. This is a general ingredient given there are so many sausage types worldwide. You can order a pizza with hot dogs stuffed into the crust, have chicken sausages cut up and placed on top, and so much more when you order from your local restaurant or fast food joint.
- Bacon. In countries where pork is allowed, this is another popular meat ingredient. Needless to say, you won’t find pizzas with bacon on them in places like the Middle East however!
- Extra cheese. If there’s one thing that pizza lovers can’t get enough of, it’s cheese. In addition to the mozzarella base, there are plenty of orders that ask for addition cheese sprinkled on top of everything else.
- Black olives. This ingredient harkens back to the pizza’s Italian origins. While some may not like its taste, this is still a relatively popular choice for those who want something more exotic on their pizza.
- Green peppers. The first vegetable on this list comes in at number eight. Luckily, ordering a green pepper pizza is a healthy snack choice for kids especially if the ingredients are fresh and the pizza itself is made properly.
- Pineapple. The Hawaiian pizza is one of the most commonly found varieties around the world. It’s sweet and sour taste combination adds a special zest to any meal and is suitable for those who don’t like spicy food.
10. Spinach. Our last ingredient is spinach, a healthy choice for those looking to enjoy a freshly made pizza without any of the guilt. This leafy vegetable works well with most meat and seafood too making it a decent choice.
As you can see, there are a wide range of foodstuffs that are suitable for your average pizza. Of course, this is just a short list which doesn’t include more exotic ingredients such as anchovies, prosciutto and jalapeno chillies. This is the beauty of this Italian dish though: you can add whatever you want and it generally tastes amazing. The next time you order pizza, go nuts. You may end up with a pleasant surprise.